Monday, August 5, 2013

T minus 21 days....

School is about to be back in session! I cannot express how happy this makes me without someone wanting to punch me in the face for making the blog a little too long. Cameron had a bit of a rough start to summer, and so did I. I had serious anxiety over everything. FYI, WebMD and Google are NOT your friends all of the time. Sometimes they make you stay up at night feeling like live bait in a shark cage off the coast of South Africa during the filming of shark week. Or, at least, that is the best way I could describe the beginning of summer..... I saw a doc, got on some meds and feel less agitated.
I wasn't picking up on a lot of Cameron's subtle clues, and that was causing some serious meltdowns, and the fecal smearing. With a few tweaks to the schedule, and a more watchful eye for certain clues, life has been manageable. It helped to have some structure in his routine, and to not stay at home too much. He is too active to stay cooped up inside all day. He craves different environments. I can't really blame him. I am the same way. From the last week of June up until last week, we did a Kids day out program that seemed to help greatly. Both boys loved going, and I enjoyed working with some great kids, and great ladies. It was good for me to get out of the house too.
The biggest change I have seen this summer was when he began requesting for things in sentences. This happened for the first time with a teacher at Kids day out, and again, a few times at home since. He also shocked me a few weeks back. He has sung the abc song for a while now, but mumbles through a lot of the letters, so I assumed he was just singing a song and not correlating the letters in the song to the actual letters of the alphabet. He has a toy train with alphabet letters on blocks that you can stick in the train and it tells you the letter and sound. One night, we were sitting in the living room and he began approaching me with letters from his train in his bedroom. He would show me the letter, then TELL me the letter. He did fantastic! He would run back this room and grab a random letter and repeat. The toughest letter for him to say is X. We are working on it, and it is getting better. At first it sounded like "it", but now he is sounding it out, so it sounds like "eeeeehhhhhhkkkkkk SSS" with an almost silent s sound at the end. He will get it though!
This gives me so much hope. He can now master these letters, and i look forward to him spelling his full name, and typing or writing simple words. It may be a while off, but you have to understand something..... We had hope, but we also read and saw dozens and dozens of stories of children on the autism spectrum who reminded us so much of our son who couldn't accomplish this much, either EVER, or not until adolescence.
So, with a summer like this, I can only imagine the possibilities this school year.